13/10/2006

Resilience

I'm reading a book called Resilience by Anne Deveson at the moment, given to me by my mother on the advice of my stepfather. You can read an excerpt here.

I'm enjoying it so far (around two thirds of the way through) but so far there has been nothing particularly revolutionary in it. Or I'm missing what it has to offer? From what I understand the author believes that resilience is incredibly hard to define, possibly because it's so fluid. Individuals, communities and families can all display resilience and one of the ways resilience is fostered is with connectedness. I wish I knew why I'm not loving it though. Maybe I will as I continue reading and thinking about it, or maybe it will take E reading it once I've finished (she's going to borrow my copy) to talk to me about it to bring me 'round and help me understand it.

No comments: