23/10/2006

More breastfeeding goodness:

I was exhausted when I finished my last post so there were some things that I meant to add but forgot at the time:
  • Breastfeeding can help you lose your 'baby weight' (I'm eating enormous quantities but the little guy is sucking the calories right outa me. In the interests of full disclosure, some of my friends have reported that they held on to their baby weight until they finished breastfeeding).
  • It's enjoyable - finally. It releases a really nice hormone cocktail which makes me feel calm and dreamy. The effect is stronger for some women and nearly non existent for others. I suspect it's the only reason we can handle the pain or discomfort involved with learning to breastfeed.
  • Breastfeeding forces you to sit down and get some kind of relaxation. Any extra rest is a huge bonus for any parent
  • I personally get a strong sense of accomplishment from my little boy growing so well (and quickly) on nothing but what I create for him.

No comments: